Monday, March 17, 2014
Tha Hand that Bears the Sword: Finale
Oh man, the cliffhanger. Packer Thome, the main character, is named King as the Nearing Vast army prepares to take back the city that was taken from the by the Drammune. Also, in Drummune there was a transfer of power, and the new woman in power was the Hezzan's- that is, the dictator's, wife. Zealots, who are the equivalent of priests in the Drummune religion, Drammun, are infuriated, but are trapped by their own laws. Meanwhile, in Vast, the religious themes are strong. There are plentiful references to the Bible, faith, and forgiveness. Religion takes a very large place in this novel, which I find very cool. It's a large risk to incorporate religion into books, but Polivka does it very well in this book. However, I think that if you were not a Christian, you would be overwhelmed by the magnitude in which religion is incorporated into the book. Anyways, I absolutely loved the book. Polivka uses old sentence structure in quotes, and combines it with modern while not. It makes the book easy to read, but you still get incredibly immersed into the book. If you ever need a book to read, I'd recommend this one. It's a bit long, but that's not a complaint. I can't wait to read the next book of the series, The Battle for Vast Dominion!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Do you think the names in this book carry any significance?
ReplyDeleteIn the book. Drummane literally means "The Worthy Ones" in the Drammun language. Also, the title pertains the a verse in the Bible, specifically "'Put your sword back in its place,' Jesus said to him, 'for all who draw the sword will die by the sword.'" This took place after the main character, Packer, kills many of Drummune soldiers, who are seen as violent and evil. Which they are.
Delete