Thursday, March 13, 2014

The Hand that Bears the Sword: Midway

I'm about halfway through the book, and I'm finding it incredibly enjoyable. I find that it builds up to a climax, weather it be a battle, an assassination, etc., and then falls until it starts climbing again. You don't get bored reading it, either, because of this. The "Age of Sail" time period also works well for the religious and royal themes for the book, allowing the author to create a divide between the protagonists, the Kingdom of Nearing Vast, and the antagonist, the Drammune. He also uses perspectives from both kingdoms, each with their own Pro- and Antagonists. This gives the reader a sense of dramatic irony. I predict, based on the next book's in the series title, "The Battle of Vast Dominion," that the book will end ready for the largest climax, but then will move to the next book.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a riveting book! I can relate; medieval, fantasy, etc. genres can be quite thrilling, as it leaves a lot open as to what kind of setting the characters live in. This method of using the points of views from both kingdoms (assumed to be Nearing Vast and Drammune), from various kingdoms, in which protagonist and antagonists may switch roles as the perspective changes, also seems like a very interesting element of the book. I've seen stories in which, in a separate book or edition, the main plot line will be told by the previous villain, or from their perspective, but never have I heard of it occurring in the same book. Anyway, it sounds like a good read! I look forward to more content from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a pretty good book! Even just the names of characters and places make it sound pretty great. The book I am currently reading, Dune, is similar in the fact that there are two kingdoms and multiple things going on in both of them (Which tends to make it quite hard to follow). Enjoy reading, and if it does end that way, hopefully you are able to read the next book!

    ReplyDelete