I started this book book before the reading unit, and was about halfway through when we started, so I'll be doing my half-way review now.
The book is split into multiple parts, most noticeably Louis Zamperini's early life and life in the war. The first part is Louis' early life, his childhood, and his running career, which took him to the Olympics, and his experience inside Nazi Germany, and being congratulated by Hitler himself. The second part takes place after his drafting into the AAF, as a B-24 Consolidated Liberator bombardier.
It's a true story, but is written in a way that makes it feels almost like fiction. However. it incorporates real events and statistics that I can relate to. These two combined elements make this book an incredibly enjoyable read for myself specifically. However, if you don't have too much background information on WWII, the book does a fantastic job in informing the reader on everything they need to know, the basic knowledge on the B-24, and the pilots opinions on it.
All together, this book is an incredibly enjoyable, regardless of prior knowledge. However, if you don't tend to enjoy war stories, this book is not for you. There isn't any gory material, but there is parts where it would get boring if you aren't comprehensive of the book. It also creates moments of suspense, which could be a reason to read it. Either way, it;s a fantastic read that I would recomend to nearly any reader.
Sounds like yourself an example of literary non-fiction, a very fascinating sub-genre in which fiction and non-fiction story elements collide! Very interesting! Sounds like a very interesting book... so it's about an Olympic runner who later becomes a pilot? Very cool. I look forward to more posts about this book, and from your blog!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a pretty good book! The thing that I find most interesting is the time period, if you get what I mean. When I think about Nazi Germany I don't think that life just keeps going on. But some life apparently did. People went to the Olympics for heaven's sake. Any way, enjoy the rest of the book!
ReplyDelete